Thursday, August 4, 2011

things i've learned

My little girl is almost 1 year old. That's 12 whole months of growing and learning by her, obviously, but also by the husband & me as first-time parents. As such, here are 12 things I've learned about parenting a baby during this past year--not that I'm an expert or anything because I'm definitely not. And being that every child is different, your own mileage in regards to this list may vary. So take it all with a grain of salt :)
  1. In the newborn days, no matter how long you wait after the baby poops to make sure she's done before changing her diaper, she will poop again immediately after you change her into a clean diaper. Without fail.
  2. Everyone knows how important it is to make sure a baby eats enough. What no one stressed (at least to us), though, is how important it is for a baby to get enough sleep and that you often have to actively help a small baby get to sleep since she does not really know how, at least in the first few months. The first 2 weeks gave us a false sense of how the whole sleeping thing would go because, apparently, newborns tend to fall asleep anywhere and everywhere on their own. Unless you have a very easygoing baby (which we did not), this will not always be true... and you will at some point be faced with a super cranky baby (who is likely just overtired) and have no idea why. I used to think that if a baby is tired, she just falls asleep. Um, not always. (And if you are one of the parents who has always had an easygoing baby who never fights sleep and always falls asleep for naps and nighttime without the need for rocking, swaying, or any help from you at all, then... I hate you. And so does every other parent of a champion sleep-fighting baby.)
  3. Though some people have no problems with it at all, breastfeeding can be really, really difficult, especially at the beginning. I had initially thought that as long as we got the latch correct, it would be smooth sailing from there. Nope, at least not for us. There are a bunch of other things that can make it difficult (i.e. oversupply, plugged ducts / mastitis, nursing strikes, etc.), not to mention it left me completely and utterly exhausted and unable to get more than 2-3 hours of uninterrupted sleep for awhile. It took a lot of seeking advice and determination to stick with it, but we managed to do so. And I'm really happy that we did. (That was our choice, though, and I totally respect those who choose to formula-feed. I was a formula-fed baby! And I figure that people do whatever works best for them and their own situation.)
  4. Find a reliable soothing item that works for your baby, and make sure you bring it with you whenever you go out. For most people, this is a pacifier. For us, it is an Ergobaby Carrier.
  5. Every baby is different and every family has different circumstances, so even if it's not the way you would do it, learn not to pass judgement or a critical eye on how another parent does things. I always try to assume that every parent does what works best for them and their family.
  6. I used to work at a fast-paced, high-pressure corporate job for 50+ hours a week with a ridiculous commute... yet, to my surprise, I've learned that being a SAHM is by far the most difficult job I've ever had.
  7. You learn to appreciate little things you never thought twice about before... like going to the bathroom without being interrupted, and eating a meal with your spouse at the same time.
  8. It will seem like you have no time to yourself (because you probably don't), but make time. It may be more difficult if you are a military family and do not live close to any family or friends that you trust, but many people do live near trusted family/friends; get their help for a few hours every once in awhile. It is important for you to remember who you are beyond a parent so as to retain your sanity.
  9. There will be good days where you feel like a rockstar parent, and there will be bad days where you feel completely lost. It's all normal. Just do your best.
  10. Even if you used to be an expert traveler, only bringing carry-ons and zipping through security at airports, traveling with a baby is a completely different ball game. There's a reason there's often a separate security line for families with small children.
  11. Just when you get into a nice rhythm and think you're getting the hang of this whole parenting thing, the baby will hit a developmental milestone and change everything up on you. And you'll have to figure everything out all over again.
  12. Though parenting can be really difficult, that adorable little baby somehow has a way of making your heart explode with so much love that it makes it all worthwhile. I can't tell you how many times I've simply looked at my daughter and felt like my heart was literally about to burst with love for her that it made me want to hug and kiss her all day long. As a friend once said to me, "My kid makes me want to cry like every day... but in a good way." :)

* * * * *

Video clip on the topic of parenthood from the movie, The Backup Plan.
Some exaggeration, but hilarious nonetheless.


2 comments:

  1. i hear ya!
    I know it's only 12 things but..#13 - when you finally get your baby to sleep and take a moment to look at how much they have grown, you almost want to pick them up and kiss them.. and then you realize you are really tired and it's probably not a good idea lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #6! Right on! I remember during one of my visits to Jersey, I had dinner with a couple of girlfriends. They were discussing what time they had to wake in the morning for work, and then asked me.. "what time do you have to wake up, kat?" i said, "whenever noah wakes up." one said, "that's the life!" and on defense mode.. i said, "being a stay at home mom, on top of being a military house wife, is more work than the 50 hours i put in at Vonage and the 30 hours I put in at Piercing Pagoda.. every week!" People don't realize how hard it is until they experience it themselves. So, high five on being a SAHM! :)

    ReplyDelete